Servicing

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 09:49
ThreadID: 67290 Views:3326 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I have been involved with four wheel driving for about 30 years and have done some very demanding driving on the East Coast.

Here's my problem, I am not mechanically minded and as I am soon to do a trip along the Gunbarrel Highway I would like to know if there is a course I can do to take me through the basic bush mechanics. Just so I can get myself going again should the need arise. Normally I get my vehicle thoroughly seen to by a qualified mechanic before I go on any trip and so far I haven't broken down anywhere, I also drive very conservatively when out bush.

I have a Nissan Patrol 4.2 litre Turbo Diesel with 17" rims any help would be appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:17

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:17
How you can be involved with 4wd-ing for 30 years and know nothing about the mechanical side of your hobby is beyond me.

Please be aware that 17" tyres are not common in the outback so carry an extra spare wheel or casing and take some tyre plugs too

The Gunbarrel is corrugated to hell so careful driving will be the order of the day and lowering you tyre pressures will help as well

You drive a robust vehicle so if it is well maintained by your mechanic youi should be OK

Try your local Tafe for a beginners course in mechanics
AnswerID: 356822

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:25

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:25
The local TAFE colleges run adult education course involving vehicle mechanics. I don't know if any are 4x4 specific. Another good source of info would be local 4x4 clubs many of which run just those types of courses. One of the local 4x4 places in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne run regular workshops as well so try 4x4 outlets.

I'm not overly mechanically minded myself but my theory on fixing problems in the outback is to sit down in the shade near the vehicle, crack the top of the first beer and think about it. You can gaurentee that someone who knows a lot more than you do will arrive over the sandhill before you've had time to crack the top off the second Ha Ha.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 356826

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:28

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:28
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

I will help you fix the truck if it breaks down but the tyres you can do by yourself.....LOL

Cheers
FollowupID: 624897

Follow Up By: Rod, Sydney - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:06

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:06
Mick O, I'm with you - carry spares, tools, a repair manual and good communication gear. Then hope you never need any of it but if you do wait for a more knowledgeable person to turn up.
Cheers
Rod, Perth

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 624927

Reply By: scrawny - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:46

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:46
I don't know much about the mechanics of my vehicle because I have had several over the years, It was a damn side easier when everything wasn't electronic, give me the old chuggers any day, at least I could get them going again. "THAT'S WHY"
AnswerID: 356831

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:07

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:07
OK Fair enough. I drive an old chugger, sort of....LOL

BTW if you need to target an answer you can click on the Post Follow-up icon instead of the Post Reply

FollowupID: 624907

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:06

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:06
Scrawny,

Having a Nissan 4.2 turbo....I didn't think there was much electonics with this model..... engine all mechanical.... am I missing something?

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 624926

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:09

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:09
Get a grease gun and grease your vehicle EVERY day.
That does 2 things....
1. It stops things getting sand and water in and they don't wear out.
2. It forces you to have a good look around.
3. Watch out for changes.
Most problems are small if you catch them early.
Look for things that are moving that shouldn't.
Look for cracks.
Just LOOK closely at EVERY thing!

Why oh why do people who USE 4x4s CHOOSE to fit low profile tyres? It beats me!

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome

AnswerID: 356832

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:41

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 11:41
Peter

>Why oh why do people who USE 4x4s CHOOSE to fit low profile tyres? <

They are probably going to PIMP(pump) their wheels...hahahahaha

Cheers

FollowupID: 624915

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:05

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:05
Hi Scrawny,

A word of warning a qualified mechanic may be well and good but is he clued on on what to check on and service for remote desert travel?

That could be your undoing. Make sure he knows what to look at in this regard or I strongly suggest you find one that has such experience.

Sadly any list on what should be checked is almost too big to list here but here are a few critical items - I would have the
battery/s load tested,
radiator pressure tested,
two complete spare wheels,
a comprehensive tyre plug / repair kit,
have alternator, water pump and starter motor checked,
what’s the condition of belts and hoses,
check the brackets, bolts and fittings related to the radiator, batteries, compressors (you have one don't you?),
etc etc etc

Phil
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 356842

Reply By: Splits - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:39

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:39
scrawny

If you intend working on any kind of cars in future then get used to electronics. They are not going to go away. They are also surprisingly easy if you take the time to look through a book and see how they work. All you need then is something to carry out a few tests and a few second hand replacement sensors etc and you should be ok.

Your comment on the "reliable" old cluggers reminds me of a 4b convoy that I was in out in the middle of nowhere back in the 1970s. A Land Rover stopped and we traced the problem to a faulty ignition coil. Have you ever tried to dismantle and repair one of those in the bush or even in a well equipped workshop? They are a repair by replacement job and the owner did not have one.

Any vehicle of any age can leave you stranded. You have to make sure you know what you are doing and be well repaired. A little bit of research into your vehicle can help considerably.

As an example I recently spoke to a mechanic I worked with many years ago. He is still working for the same Toyota dealer that he started his apprenticeship with in 1980. I asked him about the reliability of the electronic components on my 03 diesel Hilux with a view to buying a few spares. He said the only parts they have any problems with are the electronic accelerator pedals but only after they have been submerged in water. That still won't stop me from stocking up on a few parts that could stop the engine permanently but it is good to know.

The only thing I can add to what the others have said so far is first your tyres. If that size is hard to find out there then make sure you have enough of the right type of puncture repair equipment, and the knowledge to use it, to patch up an unrepairable tyre just to keep you going. You may find you will have to travel a long way on it. Plugs and little kits are not the answer in cases like that. There is a lot more available.

The other point is buy a workshop manual. The factory ones are by far the best but there will probably a be about 10 that cover the whole car and the cost will be enormous. The non genuine ones are good enough in most cases. You can learn a hell of a lot just by reading them with car in front of you.

They can also be a big help to anyone who stops to help you in the bush. You will find plenty of mechanically minded people on the tracks but nobody knows all the fine details of every make so a book can be priceless.

Brian

AnswerID: 356848

Follow Up By: scrawny - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:11

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:11
Thanks for all the replies, just getting new ideas. You never stop learning.

For the comment about low profile tyres, they're not they are BFG 315x70x17. I do also have two spares two compressors and a plug kit. So I think as far as the tyres go I'll be okay.

I also don't drive like Peter Brock and I believe that's half the battle, for the bloke who made the comment about cracking a couple of stubbies, sounds good but I don't drink, I can always crack a lemonade I suppose.

One last question. Does anybody know of a good 4wd mechanic in WA? I used to go to Robson Brothers, they're good but do they charge.

Thanks again
FollowupID: 624966

Follow Up By: Splits - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 21:57

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 21:57
scrawny

Don't underestimate the problems you could encounter with punctures. Your biggest threat on those type of tracks are wooden stakes and a 315 mm wide tyre is a very big target. One of them could rip a large hole in the sidewall of a front and rear tyre at the same time. Plugs are good for plug size holes but not something like that.

Last week I had the Rema Tip Top truck stop at my home and I bought a couple of things to top up my kit. One of the things were a few 140TL radial patches. They are three ply, 195 x 100 mm and suitable for 25 mm tread holes as well as sidewall holes up to 10 x 80 mm or 20 x 60mm.

I would not like to run around the streets with any glued in patches on holes that big but they will get me out of the bush if necessary.

If I had a large tread hole, I would probably fill it with a few stem plugs first followed by a suitable size patch. It may be one that size but I have smaller ones (and larger) as well. For small ones I would most likely use a suitable size minicombi plug. The inside surface of the tyre would be cleaned first with Rema liquid buffer to remove mould release agents. I would then roughen the surface with my carbide contour wheel by either holding it in my hand for small areas or with a 12 volt drill for large ones. After gluing it in and stitching it thoroughly, the roughened area around the edges of the patch would be sealed with innerliner sealer followed by chalk before fitting a tube.

This is just a small example of what is involved with emergency bush repairs. If an externally applied plug gets you out of trouble then you are in luck but if the hole is too big then you have to step up into another world where there is a bewildering range of equipment available.

You are unlikely to ever have to go that far on most tracks in the Great Dividing Range or within a few hours of major cities but it is a real possibility in the vast expanses of the Western Deserts.

If you have a look at the Rema site and down load their catalogue, it will give you a good idea of what you might need out in those areas.

The tyre information on the Beadell Tours website is also well worth checking out.

Brian
FollowupID: 625015

Reply By: D200Dug- Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 22:16

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 22:16
Find a copy of the ABC "Bush Mechanics" DVD and watch that.

It will probably not give you any really useful information but is a lot of fun and gives an idea of wheat is out there :-)
AnswerID: 356942

Sponsored Links